Gerti Machacek served her apprenticeship as goldsmith with Hans Muliar
and studied history of art at the University of Vienna.
Since1981 she has been working as a freelance artist and has participated
in many national and international exhibitions, among others:
- 1987 “Europalia” Brussels, Belgium
- 1993 “Neue Ringe” Museum Bellerive, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2008 “New Play in Art – Il Gioello Inaspettato” Giardino Botanico Heller, Italy
Her most important publications are:
- “Schmuck.Kunst am Körper. Contemporary jewellery. Art to wear.” Edition Galerie Slavik 1999
- “The Compendium Finale of Contemporary Jewellery 2008” A.Lim 2008
- “Art Meets Jewellery” Arnoldsche 2010
- “New Rings” Nicolas Estrada, Thames and Hudson Ltd. 2011
In 1992 Gerti Machacek received an award in acknowledgement of her work:
Austrian State Prize for Craft.
Works have been purchased by the Museum of Applied and Contemporary Art, Vienna [MAK] and the Artothek – Artcollection, Vienna, as well as by several private collectors.
Her work is exhibited and on sale at the Gallery Slavik and artup in Vienna, Austria and at “eckegalerie” in Augsburg, Germany.